Sunday, October 21, 2012

Fall is here!

The transition from summer to fall was an abrupt one around here...we were having 90 degree days and then suddenly the rain and falling leaves are upon us.  There are so many things I want to remember about Jack and Maddy at this stage.  There are new challenges with their ever growing independence but also so many fun, hilarious things they are doing every day.

They both just crack me up.  Jack will do whatever it takes to get to what he wants, even if it means scooting boxes across the room or balancing on one leg on his rocking horse to reach something on top of the counter.  The amazing thing is that he never falls!  He is extremely agile and has no fear.  He loves to bob his head back and forth and swing his arms around whenever he hears music.  He idolizes Brad and wants to be doing whatever he is doing.  He spent forty minutes this afternoon looking out the window watching as Brad raked up all of the leaves.

Jack has made me so proud lately---he has been randomly going potty on the toilet all by himself.  This morning he took off all of his clothes, including his diaper (this is completely normal behavior) and I told him he needed to tell me if he needed to go potty.  He went about his business playing as usual and then springs up, runs to the bathroom and goes in the toilet!  I am so amazed by how smart he is.  Every time he does this we have a huge celebration with high fives and he grins from ear to ear in pride.  Jack also loves to help me cook, he even puts his mittens on as oven mits and mimics what I am doing in his own kitchen.  I am so lucky to have such a sweet little boy.

Maddy is a little fire cracker.  She can be quite emotional and strong willed but she also likes to cuddle up and read book after book in your arms.  She wakes up in the middle of the night and talks to herself or tries to wake up "Jackie."  She has recently become very focused on picking out her own outfits---she has attempted to wear a jean skirt and down vest to bed, and one day she put on two skirts--one as a skirt and the other as a shirt.  She knows so many words, animals, animal noises, and has completely surprised me in her knowledge of letters and colors.  Today we went to the library for the first time (no small feat with two toddlers in a quiet only area).  When we were getting ready to go I told her we were going to the library, and I asked her if she knew what was at the library.  She responded, very enthusiastically, books!!  How did she know that?!  It is amazing how much they absorb and learn on a daily basis.  Maddy likes to "help" whenever possible--she clears the table, wipes the table, unloads the dishwasher, and helps me put wet clothes in the drier. 

Jack on the other hand points out all of the specks of dirt on the floor to me and then asks me to get the "va" (vacuum).  Every time he washes his hands it is like he is preparing for surgery...the boy would wash his hands all day if you let him.  The other day he actually closed the bathroom door and locked it.  I was a little panicked, trying to unlock the door with a paperclip, and he nonchalantly unlocked the door and opened it.

Here is to enjoying their last week as one year olds.  The time goes by so fast, I can barely believe my little babies are turning two next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment